Bill Harvey, Auditor of the City of Bexley
The City Auditor is an elected official who serves as the Chief Fiscal Officer of the City of Bexley. As Chief Fiscal Officer, the City Auditor is responsible for maintaining a fiscally sound government that conforms to generally accepted accounting, legal and management principles.
The Auditor, along with the Finance Department, performs all the duties of a Treasurer, Controller, Cash Manager, Budget Director and Internal Auditor.
Eligible employers may receive an annual cash incentive for creating office jobs in the city of Bexley. The cash payment is calculated based on withholding taxes from eligible new employees who pay Bexley City Income Tax, and can be for up to 50% for six (6) years. An “eligible new employee” is defined as a full-time or full-time equivalent, non-retail, private sector employee. Employers must create a minimum of five (5) new jobs over the lesser of the term of the incentive or three years. To be eligible for this incentive, a full-time position, or FTE position, must pay a minimum of $12.00 per hour.
Employers New to Bexley
• For leased space, up to two (2) years less than the lease term, not to exceed six (6) years.
• For owner-occupied space, up to six (6)years.
Existing Bexley Employers
For expansion in existing space (whether leased or owned):
• 5-29 new employees, up to one (1) year.
• 30 or more new employees, up to two (2) years.
For expansion into newly leased or newly owner-occupied space:
• Leased space: Up to two (2) years less than the lease term, not to exceed six (6) years.
• Owner-occupied space: Up to six (6) years
Some Finer Points
• The company may be required to maintain operations in the City of Bexley for a period which is twice the term of the incentive.
• All incentives must be negotiated with the Bexley Development Office and City Council.
Community Reinvestment Area Program
The City of Bexley offers real property tax abatement at various amounts for varying periods of time in two of its commercial districts.
Main Street Property Tax Abatements
The Main Street Redevelopment District offers abatements of up to 100% for up to 15 years on newly constructed or renovated mixed use projects. Property tax abatements on commercial portions of projects require councilmatic approval on a project-by-project basis prior to the commencement of construction.
New residential projects within the Main Street Community Reinvestment Area are eligible for abatements. The level of abatements provided is scaled based upon the average investment per unit. Residential development is automatically eligible for abatement based upon the following schedule:
Investment of $250,000 per unit or less: 15 Year Abatement at 100%
Minimum Average Investment of $250,000 per unit: 15 Year Abatement Average at 70%
North Cassady Avenue Property Tax Abatements
The Cassady-Delmar Redevelopment Area offers abatements for commercial and residential projects at the following terms*.
• Residential Remodeling: 50% abatement for 5 years on increase in value
• Commercial Remodeling: 75% abatement for 10 years on increase in value
• Residential New Construction: 50% abatement for 10 years
• Commercial New Construction: 75% abatement for 10 years
• Mixed-Use New Construction: 75% abatement for 12 years
*Property tax abatements on commercial portions of projects require councilmatic approval on a project-by-project basis prior to the commencement of construction.
Properties That Have Benefitted from Bexley Property Tax Abatements
• Bexley Gateway Mixed-Use Development
• One Dawson Luxury Condominiums
• The Shoppes at Bexley
• The Bexley Chase Building
The City of Bexley has an active TIF program in place along Main Street. This program allows the city to assist developers with infrastructure improvements to the right-of-way, as well as helping to improve the city's right-of-way all along Main Street.
TIF programs can also be utilized to assist redevelopment on Livingston Avenue and North Cassady Avenue on an ad-hoc basis. If you're interested in how TIF can be used to help your proposed Bexley development, please contact the Mayor's Office.