Code Enforcement Department
Bexley Code establishes a minimum standard that structures and exterior property are to meet. In most cases of code violation, there will be two violation notices issued to the property owner explaining the violation and giving a period of time for owners to correct the violation(s). The Building and Zoning Department will, under certain conditions, issue a citation into Mayor's Court.
Making Changes to Your Home or Property?
Double check that you don't need a permit before starting your project(s).
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Are you thinking of making upgrades and changes to your home and property? Double check that you don't need a permit before starting your project(s)!
Permits are required for
• Driveways & Approaches
• Enclosures of Porches
• Excavations & Trenches
• Hot Water Heaters
• Pools, Spas, & Hot Tubs
• Public Sidewalks
• Sun Rooms
• Sewer & Gas Line Work
When in doubt, contact the Building Department (link).
To file a permit, please click here (link).
All households should display address number near the front door or entry. All structures (garages and fences) that abut an alley must have the number visible.
Address Posting Reminders
• Numbers must be Arabic numerals
• Size of number: minimum of four inches in height
• Be a contrasting color to the background
• Vehicles advertised for sale may not be parked on the street or in plain site on private property
• Only one boat or RV is allowed in the rear yard and must be screened with a six foot solid fence or non-deciduous landscaping
• No vehicles are allowed to be parked in the grass
• No commercial vehicles are allowed, unless work is being performed during working hours
Minimum height clearance required:
• Over all sidewalks = 8 feet
• Over all streets and alleys = 15 feet
• Must not block the view of the street at corners
• Must not block street signs or lights
Planting of trees, shrubs, flowers or other materials in the right-of-way requires a permit. There are certain species that are prohibited to be planted in the right-of-way. A complete list of prohibited species can be found by contacting the Tree and Public Garden Commission at (614) 559-4200.
Grass and Weeds such as, but not limited to: thistle, ragweed, milkweed, poison ivy, or grass exceeding (8”) in height are prohibited.
Some violations include, but are not limited to:
• Peeling, flaking paint
• Broken or dilapidated fences, walls, or other structures
• Deteriorated structures, roofs, windows, etc.
• Broken, uneven, or improperly maintained walks or driveways
• Driveways with loose stones or gravel spilling into right of way
• Storage of building materials or materials such as earth, sand, or dirt not intended for current use on the property
• Out of use or on-usable appliances or automobile parts
• Unsightly or offensive materials. Outdoor use of furniture intended for indoor use
• Improperly disposed of materials, junk and clutter, unkempt garbage, trash, litter, and yard waste
Bexley's Code Enforcement Department is always looking for volunteers to help residents who are unable to shovel sidewalks, mow grass, landscaping, and similar outdoor tasks. If you are willing to volunteer for this program, please contact David Hrdlicka, Code Enforcement Officer (link)!